Sunday, March 20, 2011

Raceday

I DID IT!

This morning I ran my first ever half marathon, 13.1 miles, or 21.1 kilometers. I never ran more than 10 miles, so this was definitely a new challenge for me. I ran with my good friend and we decided to go for a 2 hr final time, and lined up at the start close to the pace group for that time. It's a bunch of experienced runners that make sure we keep the right speed to end at a 2 hr time, and they were easy to spot with their yellow balloons. After about 2 or 3 miles I noticed that my friend was having some problems, but he told me to keep going and not to wait for him, so I stuck with the 2 hr group, and it kept on going really well. And after 11 miles I felt so good that I accelerated and got ahead of the 2 hr group. My final time was 1:58:13, pretty good for a first time, if I say so myself. My friend finished in 2:03, only a few minutes behind me.

Now I'm back home, relaxing with my family after a nice breakfast and a hot shower, watching NCAA basketball.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Saffron. It seems that only yesterday that you were panting after running two miles, wondering how you'd make it. But you didn't give up! And now you're on to more races!! You can do whatever you put your mind to.

    I need a coach like you:)

    ReplyDelete