Friday, December 31, 2010

Playing with words

I like to play with words.

For those of the readers who don't know me, English is not my first language. I have been living in the US for over 10 years, but still sometimes feel I am looking for words or am discovering words. Luckily I am all fine with it, I know it is a learning process, and it also can lead to some funny mistakes, intentionally or not.

For instance, when talking to my wife this morning about weekend plans, I wanted to say to her that probably on New Years Day the stores will be closed, but what I actually came out of my mouth was "the clothes are stored". Which is perfectly good English, but doesn't make much sense in the context. Another example, a few days ago I went with some colleagues to lunch, and we ended up at an Asian restaurant called "Duck and Dumpling", but for some reason I kept calling it "Dump and Duckling". Whch again is perfectly good English, but of course wouldn't be that appropriate for a restaurant name. 

Now I think of it, since a long time I have been saying "I'm going to shake a tower", instead of "I'm going to take a shower". I'll leave a small variation of this regarding going to the bathroom to the imagination of the reader.

And for ages I though the title of the movie was "Tears of Endearment", until an American student studying abroad while I was in college heard me say that and he almost died laughing.

Finally, I few months ago I read about haiku's. These are short, Japanese poems that consist of three lines, the first and last one has 5 syllables, the middle one has 7 (there is more to it, but that's the simple explanation). Of course, you can write them in any language, so this is what I came up with then:


Longing for her neck
Her smells and sounds make me weak
I can't hardly wait

and:
Dogs are waking up
Fighting for a spot in bed
Can't go back to sleep






2 comments:

  1. You're a poet! AND you are hilariously funny!! A Keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. I think you should start keeping a list of your "sayings" - they're so funny! Thanks for sharing. Also your haikus. Best wishes for 2011!

    ReplyDelete